Jeff T. Blackburn D.D.S., F.A.G.D.
Dr. Jeff Blackburn is an award winning dentist known throughout Richmond, Virginia as one of the best general and cosmetic dentists in the area. For the past 35 plus years, he has worked diligently to evolve his practice into a state-of-the-art facility that offers comprehensive, individualized care for dramatically improving the oral health and appearance of patient’s teeth and gums. Since its inception, more than 20,000 patients have come to South River Dentistry to benefit from Dr. Blackburn’s treatment philosophy and care.
After he graduated from Medical College of Virginia / Virginia Commonwealth University with his DDS degree, Dr. Blackburn established South River Dentistry in Midlothian in 1985. Since opening his practice, he has continued his strong commitment to providing the highest-quality cosmetic dentistry, advanced dental care, and customer service in the Richmond area. As one of a select group of research evaluators with Clinical Research Associates (and their publication Clinicians Report), one of the largest independent dental research organizations in the world, Dr. Blackburn gains exposure and experience with some of the most innovative techniques and technology in dentistry today.
Dr. Blackburn has been recognized with a Fellowship Award from the Academy of General Dentistry, is a Fellow of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation, and has received the distinction of being named One of America’s Top Dentists. He is also a renowned national speaker, lecturing frequently for business and dental professionals on topics including personal motivation and practice management.
Dr. Blackburn and his wife, Jennifer, share six children and reside in Midlothian, Virginia. He has always been extremely active in the Richmond community through coaching multiple AAU baseball teams, basketball teams, and high school baseball. He is proud to use his professional skills as the team dentist for the Richmond Flying Squirrels. In addition to his community activities, Dr. Blackburn also contributes his time to the Massey Cancer Center as a spokesperson, supporter, and fundraiser.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Blackburn.
“Dr. Jeff Blackburn is the best dentist I have ever been to, he cares about his patients. I also want to add, that he saved my life, by finding cancer in my mouth, and for that I will be forever grateful!! He has given my life back, along with a beautiful smile. Thank You Dr. Blackburn!!”
Areas of Practice
Comprehensive, Preventive, Restorative, Cosmetic including Porcelain Veneers and Sedation Dentistry Treatments
- B.S. – 1981 Weber State University
- D.D.S. – 1985 MCV/VCU School of Dentistry
- TBSE “Turning Adversity into Opportunity”
- Excellence in Dentistry
- Love Dentistry Audio Series- “When Times Get Tough” A Conversation with Dr. Richard Madow
- National Motivational and Practice Management Speaker
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow, Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation
- Listed in “America’s Top Dentists”
- Research Evaluator for Clinical Research Associates and their publication, Clinicians Report
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Dental Association
- Virginia Dental Association
- Member and Fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry
- Member and Past Board Member of Richmond Dental Society
- Member and Past President of the Richmond Dental Study Club
- Academy of Computerized Dentistry
- National Lecturer and Motivational Speaker
- National Spokesperson for Oral Cancer Cause
- Member American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Member of Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation
- Member of Virginia Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- Member of the Dr. Gordon Christensen International Study Club
- Massey Cancer Center Speaker’s Bureau
- Team Dentist Richmond Flying Squirrels Baseball Team (S F Giants AA)
- Founding Board Member of the Weaver Athletic Association
- Former High School and AAU Baseball Coach
What is a Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is trained in a discipline of dentistry dedicated to furthering your oral health and hygiene while also enhancing the aesthetic beauty of your teeth, gums, and smile. Utilizing advanced techniques that go beyond routine check-ups and dental cleanings, a cosmetic dentist takes advantage of the latest treatments and technologies to improve the state of your oral structures and bite, as well as enhance the shape, proportions, and color of your teeth. Ultimately, a cosmetic dentist aims to achieve your dream smile. This is often accomplished using treatment protocols that prioritize a comfortable patient experience and minimally invasive approaches whenever possible.
Cosmetic dentists perform a number of cutting-edge procedures that improve upon traditional dentistry techniques and can offer more effective and long-term results. Such treatments may include porcelain veneers and Invisalign® in addition to restorative solutions like dental implants and implant supported dentures. Whether your needs include minor cosmetic polishes or full mouth rehabilitation, a cosmetic dentist strives to fulfill your smile goals in ways that can create positive changes to your confidence and overall well-being.
What Sets Dr. Blackburn Apart From Other Richmond Cosmetic Dentists?
For decades, Dr. Blackburn has extended the highest quality of dental care to patients in Richmond and surrounding areas. Recognized by numerous awards for his expertise and advanced level of care, he is well-established within the community and prides himself on helping over 20,000 patients achieve an immaculate smile, impeccable oral health, and an improved quality of life through cosmetic dentistry. As a member of one of the largest dental research organizations in the world, he remains on the forefront of innovation within the field and is constantly seeking new ways to provide more relaxing, effective, and superior treatment. While his 30 years of experience speak volumes about his passion for the craft, Dr. Blackburn’s warm chair-side manner can put even the most anxious patient at ease. Well-accomplished in all aspects of general and cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Blackburn possesses a rare combination of talent, skill, and compassion that you deserve in your dentist.
Choosing the Best Cosmetic Dentist For You
When selecting the most qualified cosmetic dentist to fulfill your treatment goals, consideration of a few key factors can help you determine the most ideal choice to achieve the results you desire. Our experienced team has outlined a number of steps that can make this process easier for you:
- Learn about their qualifications, training, and credentials. Researching a prospective dentist’s educational background and learning about their area of expertise give you an idea of whether they are experienced performing your treatment of interest. This can often mean the difference between a subpar cosmetic outcome and exceptional, natural-looking results.
- Take a look at before-and-after photos. A dentist’s patient showroom or “smile gallery” is usually an excellent indication of your prospective dentist’s body of work as well as potential treatment results. Try to find cases with similar aesthetic concerns to yours, and decide whether the final outcome can meet your expectations.
- Read online patient reviews. In addition to creating optimal treatment results, your dentist should offer you an advanced level of care in a warm and compassionate environment. Dentist reviews written by previous patients can not only allow you to glean insight into the type of care you can expect to receive, but also often provide a step-by-step assessment of the treatment process.
- Discover what equipment and technology a practice utilizes. Cosmetic dentistry is a constantly evolving field and new methods of providing a more comfortable, effective, and efficient treatment experience are consistently discovered. A dentist’s ability to stay abreast of these developments is often communicated through the equipment employed during a procedure. Cutting-edge techniques such as sedation dentistry commonly allow more dynamic treatment, and inclusion of these technologies can set a cosmetic dentist apart from other options.
Ultimately, you should select a dentist who is well-equipped to achieve beautiful results while addressing your unique needs and fostering a positive patient experience. If you are ready to book a consultation with Dr. Blackburn, or if you have any additional questions you would like to ask, please don’t hesitate to contact South River Dentistry today.